View Single Post
Old October 31, 2016   #254
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I'm expecting to get serious about planting tomatoes in the next week so here's some additions to the grow list:

One plant each of:
  • Persimmon: To drag orange color into my breeding program on the chance that it might improve the taste.
  • Cougar Red Vine: Because it claims it's adapted to cool growing season. 75-80 days to maturity is way iffy in my garden.
  • Belyi Naliv: Because it came from Dan McMurray's garden.
  • Sibirskiy Skorospezyi: Because it claims to be a very early determinate that came from one of Dan's neghbors.
  • Bloody Butcher: So many people in cold climates praise it that I aughta give it a chance.
  • Old German: Several people sent me seeds thinking that they'd meet on of my breeding goals. Might as well try it.
  • Stupice: A variety that I sought out because it is early, and said to be highly favored by bees. I'm really looking forward to this one.
  • Kozula #14 Megatrusses F4 Red Pear
  • Kozula #14 F5 Pear-Shaped Cherry Super Multi-floral Very Good Flavor
  • Jackass Yellow: To help get me away from red tomatoes.
  • Fargo: A yellow pear tomato
  • Little Paste: A variety I grow every year just because it is unique. Fruits are super long keeping and can dry on the vine.
  • Hawaiian Cherry: I think someone sent this due to the flower characteristics.
  • Tastiheart: Too long season for my garden, but I keep it around hoping to be able to do a proper frost tolerance test on of these years.
  • LA 3969: S Habrochaites introgression line. Tests very high cold tolerance.
  • An unnamed current tomato given to me at the farmer's market by the flower lady.
  • I have seeds from Galapagos wild tomatoes if I can find them.

Then I'm growing about a dozen each of:
  • [(Big Beef X Eva Purple Ball) X Disease Tolerant Red] or seed that I collected from it...
  • Wild Crosses: A mix of all kinds of about 3 seeds per type. Some F2s F3s. All should cross pollinate well.
  • D5: Part of a direct seeded breeding project that keeps failing for me, but I keep trying.
  • Joseph's Main Season Tomato Landrace, Seeds returned to me from a collaborator in 2012.

Still might yet get F2 seeds from the winter-growouts of some of the crosses for the promiscuously pollinating project. I moved them into the greenhouse about a week ago. Some have fruits already, some don't.
Joseph, do you have any pics you could post of your Kozula #14's?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote