View Single Post
Old December 10, 2016   #40
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
I post about ongoing projects periodically at my blog. Sometimes they get mentioned here, but not consistently.

Also, "zapped"?
Cool. I'll have to check that out if you linked your profile to it or something. [Yep, the link is there. I'm checking it out.]

I use a Z4EX zapper and cheap copper pipes from The Home Depot to zap all my seeds in wide-mouth quart jars partialled filled with water before I dry the seeds, when saving seeds. I also zap seeds if I got them from another source when I want to help make sure they're disease-free (like when the website has a warning about possible watermelon diseases in their seeds), or if I got the seeds from a trade. I use cheap copper pipes instead of the nice ones that came with the zapper because zapping seeds in water corrodes the pipes a lot faster (and I don't want to damage those initial pipes since they work better than The Home Depot ones for other non-seed zapping purposes).

Zapping garden seeds is an experimental practice of mine. I don't know anyone else who does it. I don't make any guarantees about it, but my personal results seem to have been quite positive, so far.

This year, I've been zapping all my seeds for at least 45 minutes (at least 15 minutes per frequency). Last year, I did it for maybe about 3 minutes or less per frequency (before planting instead of before drying) and that seemed to work fine.

Last edited by shule1; December 10, 2016 at 08:25 PM.