View Single Post
Old December 12, 2016   #2352
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Ella / Larry - I took cuttings sometime in November and planted them; they all have fruit set with small plants. I probably have 6-7 plants from cuttings now. I will get pictures.
Two of my cuttings went into an EB with mix I made from Peat Moss/Perlite/dolomite/ (instead of ProMix). This EB was fed only with the Masterblend formula from day 1. I also did the cover the same way as the link Marsha sent.
The other cuttings went into a mix of reused solarized Promix with my homemade mix.
I don't see a difference at all with the plants from my homemade mix and Promix. I did have DH pick me up 2 bales of Promix though. Just felt I didn't have much effort involved with the cuttings so no big loss.
I too have a number of plants from cuttings in 6 gallon pots. They are flowering, setting tomatoes and growing tomatoes and even though they might, I don't expect them to get to the other side. The other side meaning Spring when risk of frost is dramatically reduced. Here in Orlando from approximately the middle of December to the middle of February we are at risk from frost. Even though tomato plants are perennial I don't want them to hang around like a perennial. In the spring or early fall I want nice new transplants that have not been beaten up by blight,etc. and in some cases have vines that are up to and over 12 feet long.
What i was wondering is if I could get a cutting from a very late fall plant into a small pot and keep it alive but not growing rapidly, not flowering and certainly not setting tomatoes, but to use as a transplant, much as if I had started it from seed in the house in late December. Around the first of February if the weather forecast looks good, some of these transplants from cuttings could be started in the garden early.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote