View Single Post
Old December 31, 2016   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I have used Daconil for many years and will continue to do so, the concentrate (95 % active ingredient,chlorothalinol)),not the already diluted stuff,dilute it yourself when needed.

It's best used as a protective for only Early Blight and Septoria Leafspot, the two most common fungal foliage diseases. It has no activity at all for the two most common bacterial foliage diseases of Bacterial Speck and Spot.

So you need to know which disease(s) you are dealing with before you decide what's best to use.

And is not that effective for Late Blight, P.infestans unless the symptoms of that fungal disease are detected early and affected foliage removed and destroyed. Early Blight and Late Blight are very different fungal diseases and both can appear early or late in the season.It all depends when the spores are in the air,which way the wind is blowing, rain, and other variables.
But P.infestans can ,and often is lethal,not so much with Early Blight,Alternaria solani.

Discussions/arguments abound at many sites about possible toxicity but Daconil is THE most widely used antifungal worldwide and has been for many decades,and when compared to some organic products, some organic cpds have greater toxicity.

Best to go to the Organic Forum here to capture some of that data,not here in this thread.What I'm essentially saying is that I don't want to spend time grabbing links from my faves,especially from the Extoxnet site.

OK,I decided to fetch that Extoxnet site anyway.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Exto..._AUIBygA&dpr=1

Carolyn