View Single Post
Old January 2, 2017   #186
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
I really had problems with germination Mountain Princess, Sophie's Choice and Urbikany. When I searched why, I discovered that the seeds of Mountain Princess were from 2006, 2010 and Sophie's Choice Urbikany do not know, but surely they are older (all germinated with helmet). I immediately dipped in water the other seeds to twenty hours. Today I got from each of these three two plantlets.

Korney,
I am of the opinion that the tomato seeds will germinate in any soil. I always sown into what I had at hand. I mixed my compost with some soil, sand, etc. I threw out large pieces, and there I was sown. Last year I sown into mix from my compost, store-bought universal substrate and first molehills. I do not know in what, but they were there germs of disease (perhaps Verticillium), and so the whole season has been corrupted.
That's why I first used store-bought professional garden substrate that friend of mine recommended me (made in Germany) this year. It is not a substrate for sowing, but is considerably cheaper.
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; January 2, 2017 at 04:29 PM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote