Thread: Beist
View Single Post
Old January 5, 2017   #14
bower
Tomatovillian™

Dutch I think that's a cool project to try and separate different shapes in Deep Space. IIRC, Marina said it was a seed that was labeled as something it was not, and produced these black pastes instead. So it wasn't known if it was stable or not, but some people got different shapes along the way. I know that the ones my friend grew here in the same summer had the same size and shapes as mine - flutey and bulgey and odd, but no real pointy tips like those beauts in your picture. Don't know how much environment affects, but shape genetics are anyhow really wierd... no simple rules like dominant/recessive alas!

As for Beist, they were for sure a compact plant and very early, so maybe a simple mislabel is the best explanation.

I am still really concerned about the disease on Deep Space, though, if those seeds also came from me. The plant had some stem issues for sure but looked like the usual grey mold or Alternaria not streaky or spotty ... I can say for certain there weren't spots like that on the leaves, as they are not like the usual stuff we get. Is it possible for a plant to carry bacterial spot/speck or whatever that is and not show it, and pass it on in the seeds? I would hate to think it, since I sent the seeds out to quite a few people.
Actually just looked at your pix again, and I am certain, I have never seen a stem lesion with a black border like that.

Last edited by bower; January 5, 2017 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added
bower is offline   Reply With Quote