View Single Post
Old January 5, 2017   #1
mouka_f_slouka
Tomatovillian™

Default What Pepper Varieties Grow Best In Zone 5B

Howdy all?

I live in the Chicago suburbs and I love peppers almost as much as I love tomatoes. I have tried growing some sweet peppers a couple of years ago and have had very limited success. I think I did not choose varieties suited to the kind of weather and climate we have on the Chicago area.
So I am turning to the experts here in hope of some hints as to what grows best in my area.
I also did not know if peppers had heirloom and hybrid varieties. Can someone please help me figure theses things out?
I am also extremely interested in growing Jalapenos as I love hot food.
A gentleman that had a plot next to mine had a huge harvest of Jalapenos and made me extremely jealous. I want to have a few plants that can give me plenty of hot peppers. I know that I can just go and buy them at the local grocery store. However there is no sense of achievement when one just walks into a store and spends money to buy vegetables. Growing my own food gives me an immense pleasure and it is not about the money at all. It is about learning and waiting and nurturing a plant. It is also about spending quality time with my younger daughter that loves hanging out with me and helping me take care of my plants.

Thanks!
mouka_f_slouka is offline   Reply With Quote