View Single Post
Old January 8, 2017   #32
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow Warbler F2 - pointy shape not stable

I ended up growing only three of these, as four seedlings perished/were culled early. Yes, I hoped that the pointy trait would be already fixed, or would segregate into hearts/pears/combinations. Instead I got only one of three with the desired shape.
Luckily for me, it also had the same great taste qualities as the F1 - while the rounder siblings were pretty ordinary by comparison.
PL turned up as a recessive. There was no sign of the super earliness of the KimXKupola cross, nor of the compact growth habit, nor of the size potential from Z. Kupola. Just cherries, and lightweights at that. I may look for a yellow heart in the KimKupola line and try backcrossing with the Warbler to see if I can get something earlier, larger, more compact and just as tasty... eventually.
I have no idea whether this pretty shape will be stable in the next generation...
For now, the really worst trait of the line, for my circumstance, is the long, leggy, skyscraping growth habit, which was present in all three F2s. I made a side cross this year, between the pointy-select Warbler and V. Desyatku - an early, compact, semi-determinate yellow beef.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2016WARBLERdata.png (23.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg YWarbler-segregants.JPG (121.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Warbler-wts.JPG (86.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Warbler-ripe-shapevariance.JPG (252.6 KB, 30 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote