View Single Post
Old January 8, 2017   #33
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default Hope's Early F3 - stable heart shape

Again I only grew two of these, checking earliness and finding the spread between the two was actually similar to the spread in the F2. The second, slightly later plant also produced slightly smaller fruit but otherwise very similar.
There was a noticeable radial striping in the earlier plant, which I don't recall from the F2 and which reminds me of the Zolotye Kupola parent. Texture was nice and smooth, and the taste was very well received by Hope and other family members. It was both tangy and sweet, "nothing like a supermarket tomato". My only criticism would be that it lacks the intensity of flavor which is found in the absolute best tomatoes. Earliness at 101 days is great for a non cherry fruit.
I also grew a couple of F1s, of a side cross last year between Hope's Early F2 and Winter Sky F2, to see what kind of texture would result from the soft X the firm.
The two F1s were completely different: a dark red plum with smooth texture and very tasty; and a pointy Beta/- orange-red which was as firm as any of the Zolotoe Serdtse lines. Firm being a polite word for "hard to rock hard in some cases".
Attached Images
File Type: png 2016-HOPESEARLYdata.png (31.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg HopesEarly-ripeningcluster.JPG (195.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg HopesEarly-sliced.JPG (193.1 KB, 28 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote