Thread: Baggy Method?
View Single Post
Old January 10, 2017   #10
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Oh, the filter fits, but it's round. All your "quadrants" are little pie slices. Even with a half size towel, all the folds are square.
I don't think the seeds care what shape it is as long as they are warm and moist. The main question/concern was how do you keep the mix of seed varieties from jumping into other 'quadrants' when you fold/unfold the paper towel to check on them? Seems like a mix up waiting to happen. I plan my planting according to plant heights and space requirements, so I need to get that right at transplant time. A Poblano pepper planted to the south of my Jalapenos would cause too much shade, I guess I just like to know for sure what plants are where in my raised beds.

Quote:
Too much effort to check the baggies? It's the highlight of my day. Let the cat out. Get coffee. Check the nursery. Yell at the cat. Plant any new babies. (Cat loves this bit; there's dirt involved.) Water whatever is in the flat and observe new loops. Record the results.
Hopefully when that's done it's time for Rush.
My day is a bit busier than that, but when you started talking about snipping around roots and daily checking ... there aren't these worries to think about when using coffee filters (two minutes saved is two minutes earned ... didn't Ben Franklin say that??)

Quote:
I have a heat mat, but the durn thing is just too hot. I find that if I keep my nursery temp below 85° I get better results, especially with the superhot C.chinense. (Toms don't seem to care much.) On top of the cable modem and router is just right when covered by a light towel.

OTOH, I'm not dealing with 1000 seeds. Maybe 100.
Yep, everyone has their sweet spot in their house where the temps are in the right range - tops of stereos, cable boxes, refrigerators, etc... I don't do 1000 seeds either, but could if I wanted in very limited space. 200-300 is my limit and I am usually giving away half of those.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote