View Single Post
Old June 7, 2007   #63
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Thumbs up

“Put me in the "don't bother to dig that deep" team. i wouldn't bother to dig that deep : the soil that deep will be low quality soil,”
That’s the point. The attempt is to improve the low quality soil deep below. Getting lots of compost deep down. I now have topsoil all the way down to 36”. This also improved the moisture holding ability of the soil a lot.

“it will be too cold for the tomato to be in...”
I used solar heat to warm up the soil in the beginning of the season.

”If you really want to maximize the roots, try 'regular' deep planting and if that wasn't enough try to make a horizontal trench and plant the tomato somewhat horizontal in stead of 90° vertical, as much stem as you put in the ground that will be full of roots.”
I wish I could do that. I just don’t have the space. I am growing indeterminates only about 14” apart!! Extreme high-density growing!

”But if this works better for you than that's your way to go.”
Here are today’s pictures. I am very pleased so far. It’s not that easy to have this kind of progress for what we call in the USA “ Z6 weather”.

Looks like I am going to have ripe tomatoes way before July 4th (Our Independent’s Day)! A goal everyone tries to achieve in our area.

dcarch

dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote