View Single Post
Old January 25, 2017   #70
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for your interest to help.
Yes, there is a light, to the left, the white cover actually has a socket for the light in the middle.
And yes, there is a switch controlling the light, cables going out through a slot on the top part of the photo. Both were working before.
And there is also an outlet plug attached to a cable at the bottom, 5 feet away before entering the box. I think the incoming line is from the bottom, going out to the light and the switch, because sometimes when the outlet plug box is touched, the light goes intermittent, so I think that's the supply line. That's the assumption I hope is right. The plug was never used, actually never anchored, just floating near the ceiling pipes.
I removed the outlet plug and the extra able from the bottom slot, will move the cable to the outlet box directly to the lighting complex box.
The house was built in 1948, all things considered, actually solid construction in many ways, but the later renos and additions in the 90s were of much poorer quality. Not sure when this wiring was done.

Now back to the original box: the black should to the switch black, the switch black goes to the light, so why the white from the switch is pigtailed with the blacks? The neural whites are already capped.

Last edited by NewWestGardener; January 25, 2017 at 05:44 PM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote