Thread: Marijuana
View Single Post
Old January 29, 2017   #69
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Levies a production tax of $9.25/ ounce of flowers plus an additional 15% excise tax on retail sales of marijuana both adult-use and medical, effective Jan. 1 2018.
This is probably why the referendum got on the ballot in the first place. It's already being grown in the state in mass quantities. Can't have the gubbmint missing out on all that potential revenue!

Am I starting to sound cynical?
IMO this is one of the GOOD reasons to legalize it. I would rather have the gubmint collect tax on it, than to go in the hole spending our tax dollars on pointless enforcement, especially against harmless citizens. I would rather have tax collected on it, than have the money go to some nasty violent drug cartel.
OTOH, I'll be the first one to think about growing my own instead of paying a high tax. But that all depends on how scandalous the tax is (Take tobacco for example... ) on the small amount I would ever use.

I would like our police to be focused on violent crime and organized crime and things that put our peace and freedom in jeopardy. Truly disgusted that they haven't been ordered to do that, already, and stop bothering people for personal uses of a harmless substance which the majority don't want to be illegal. IMO some of those violent offenders should be forced to smoke marijuana, fgs. To the point of marsh-mellowness. And keep every other drug away from them, as the rest are afaict, only making people nastier than they already are.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote