View Single Post
Old February 3, 2017   #23
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
The question posed was where to go to get MANY different kinds of seeds.Tomato Growers offers only tomatoes,peppers and eggplant.

Tania's website is a database and while she lists mainly tomatoes, when you click on different varieties you'll find not that many that she personally sells, but lists where you can find then,if indeed there is a source.. And no,Tania does not need a small lot thing to send to the US or elsewhere. That small lot issue is from SSE in Decorah,IA

Personally I wouldn't buy anything from Reimers, especially pepper seed.

Baker Creek is OK but now there are two different catalogs that are sent out and you have to pay for one of them.,

Tomatofest,many different kinds of seeds? Not IMO.

Victory Seeds? Absolutely

Sandhill Preservation? Absolutely

And Dale Thurber's site Delectation of Tomatoes? Not much else unless you are into growing competition size tomatoes. But I've seen good comments back about the quality of his tomato seeds.He's now based in Utah.

SESE, still very good,especially since the new folks took over and lowered the pack prices and # of seeds/pk.

All for now,

Carolyn
What I interpreted the OP as asking for was anything that would constitute having its own seed packet: So, I mean the number of seed items you can buy (not the number of species or some such—what I said about Trade Winds Fruit's number of species was an added bonus, but it still has a lot of seeds either way you look at it).

I included anything I found that sells 300+ to 1000+ kinds of seeds in my list. By far, most vendors don't sell that many (most are in the ~70 to 200 range, it seems). Tatiana's has a lot more than 300 (1257), but you're right that it's a lot less than are on the wiki.

Reimer Seeds does have detractors, I do admit. My first time buying there was with some trepidation (I read Garden Watchdog reviews). I personally think it's an all right store, but not everyone has had the same experience. I think a lot of the bad reviews were pretty old. Shipping is a little high for my tastes, though, unless I'm buying more than a couple things, but they do actually use a large bubble-padded, manilla envelope (so, they don't collect too much of it on handling). The seed packets are large paper ones (similar to SHPC's and TWF's). Their Crimson Forest bunching onions, Beit Alpha cucumbers, Little Leaf cucumbers, Yellow Husk ground cherry, Aji Omnicolor pepper, Goats Weed pepper, and their Celebrity F1 tomato did fine to well. The peanuts didn't grow, but I did direct-seed them in soil that some things have much difficulty germinating in (e.g. okra). If I had tried them in less difficult soil, I might ask to see if they would replace the peanuts, but my soil isn't their fault. Some of the breeds weren't my favorite ones, but those ones seemed to be what they were supposed to be, except the Yellow Husk ground cherry didn't have two inch fruits, and I'm not sure that the species they listed was correct (but it had different breed traits than the other kinds I grew). They were the same size as normal ground cherries for me. The ones I don't recommend (at least in my growing conditions) are Little Leaf, Yellow Husk, & Goat's Weed. I loved Beit Alpha and Aji Omnicolor. I'm still evaluating Crimson Forest, but it germinated very well direct-seeded in difficult soil and the onions seem to be doing well so far (they're overwintering now); it also appears true to type. Celebrity F1 grew and fruited just fine, but I didn't prefer the taste much.

Last edited by shule1; February 3, 2017 at 11:30 AM.