View Single Post
Old February 17, 2017   #185
5haun5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz77 View Post
I've watched a video about side grafting on Youtube and it seems even more difficult, maybe too difficult for a newbie like me.
I finally purchased the red clips but I should probably get myself a second type of a different size as everybody is suggesting that.
However thanks for your tip.

Dami
I don't know about 'even more difficult'. I've had good success with it using those red clips. Heck this spring I even had all three grafts that I tried outside take! I had a 'mother plant' Maxifort that had got too big so, having seen how it grows roots out of it's branches wherever it touches the ground, I planted it in the vege patch sideways and pegged the branches down into the dirt. As soon as three reasonably spaced growing tips started growing upwards again I grafted onto them. Once they 'took' I cut off all of the Maxifort vegetative growth and removed the potted scion roots. Now I have three huge plants all sharing the same massive root system!

If I can side graft outside, just using those red clips and some plywood squares to shade the grafts from the midday heat then you might want to try it yourself - what have you got to lose?

Granted it's easier to do in a semi-controlled environment. I just put the two plants into the same pot after making the graft then cover it with a plastic bag (with a wire hoop for support) and put them in the shade for a week or two, bottom-watering from the third day.

Good luck whatever you try.