View Single Post
Old June 13, 2007   #10
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default What's Happening in the Garden?

Greetings All!
I have two Red Robin plants in containers loaded with fruit almost ready to begin turning. I have a little neighbor friend who loves plants; I passed along some Jolly Jester Mariegold plants(Old French 1790 variety grown by Thomas Jefferson); she was so excited. I left one of the Red Robin plants on her deck with "Shelby's Mater Patch" as a surprise.
Most of my plants have either blooms or fruit set on them. I am growing two each in 18 gallon containers this year. I filled them with humus and cow manure and topped them off with Lama Poo. I have a very good source for this and friend, Larry, and I hauled two truck loads home. Little or no smell and you can use it directly on the plants. Everything is so green and healthy looking! I have increased my Herb growing this season to include, Basil(five types), Chives, Garlic Chives, Rosemary,(five types), Greek Oregano, Thyme(six types), Stevia, Sage(two types), Parsley -- Italian and Curly, Tree/Walking Onions, and Catawissa Onions -- see description below. Perhaps I will cook up something good to bring to the Tomato Tasting in August!
Several times during the week I go to my friend, Bert's Garden. He died several weeks ago and we are trying to save the 155 varieties of Heirloom Tomatoes, many peppers, beans, squash, gourds for seed to establish an Heirloom Tomato/Vegetable Seed Collection at the Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy in his name. Conservators will have access to these seed to grow and save seed and then return a portion to the collection.
Health wise we are doing better. Katharine has finally had a diagnosis on her Lung Problem. She is not contagious but is being treated with an antibiotic and Inhalation Treatment at Home. This has been a long and difficult process; we are hopeful that the treatments will begin to help her and improve her quality of life.
Happy gardening to each and everyone at CHOPTAG and Beyond!
Gary

Catawissa Strain (1885) This strain of onion is the tallest of the Egyptian onions, believed to have originated near Catawissa, PA and is only a slight modification of the Egyptian tree onion. The "Vegetable Garden" by Vilmorin-Andrieux first published in English in 1885 describes this American strain of onion. This variety can grow to over two and a half feet in height. Because of the large diameter of the hollow green portion of the plant, it is excellent for stuffing with cream cheese or other spreads. It's sets are reddish-brown and it has a unique habit of producing top-sets out of the top-sets that develop on the plant, which in part accounts for the plants unusual height. It is extremely winter hardy and has been grown as far north as Alaska. Egyptian Walking Onions, Top-set onions, tree onions, or walking onions are various names used to describe a family of very hardy perennial, multiplying, top setting onions. They produce table ready green onions (scallions) from top or bottom sets. They produce small bulblets on the end of the stalks in the second year of the plant's growth. Some varieties ( and Catawissas are definitely one of them) produce a second clump of top-sets out of the first cluster of sets. This type is often referred to as a tree onion because of these branching characteristics. These could possibly be used in flower arrangements. As the weight of the bulbs increases the plant stalks fall to the ground, which may be as much as two feet from the parent plant. The bulbs waste no time in putting down roots. This is why these varieties are sometimes referred to as a walking onion. If you do not want the plant to spread throughout your garden, the top-sets should be harvested. The flavor of these top-sets is somewhat spicy. They are delicious pickled. In addition to producing top-sets, the parent plant divides at the base producing an abundant supply of green scallions for salads, gazpacho and other soups or casseroles. When harvesting, always be sure to leave at least one onion in the ground so the plant will continue to multiply and keep you supplied with onions for a lifetime Gary L. Roberts