View Single Post
Old February 20, 2017   #64
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

It's about 45-50° today. Overcast and feels damp. So not nearly as nice out as the last few days. Still...this weather is wild and wacky for a February!

I worked some more on the yard today. Picking up branches and blown in garbage. Walked around checking to see if plants are damaged. My neighbour gave me these rocks to place around a flower bed. They were piled up along with the mulch bags so I placed them all today. Once the soil is thawed I will dig an edged border and place them in it.

And I've laid some landscape cloth and mulch for a path. The area around the path will be covered with cardboard, newspaper, grass clippings, pine needles, leaves, and coffee grounds in thick layers to smother the grass (that hardly grows due to the trees sucking up the nearby moisture and the carpet of pine needles. It just makes sense to go with nature and kill off the struggling grass, instead plant things like ice plants, sedums, and prairie flowers, and use rocks and mulch for interest and color). I'm not worried about planting this year. Just want to get the beds designed, dug/edged, and the grass and weeds smothered and the soil fertility increased.

There are also a LOT of little stones to dig out and a couple of weedy trees that have self down and taken over. I'm seriously considering roundup to kill them off. We've tried cutting them down, tried to rip them out with a truck and chain, tried mowing them (too many little stones...it was landscaped around the house but it hasn't been kept up with so I'm trying to reclaim it)and nothing organic is working. I hate to do it...but these gosh darnoodley trees are out one way or another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170220_115558_hdr.jpg (431.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170220_115629_hdr.jpg (385.0 KB, 58 views)

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com

Last edited by MissMoustache; February 20, 2017 at 01:42 PM.
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote