View Single Post
Old February 27, 2017   #10
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
You can grow in anything. Some people use the cloth re-usable shopping bags as grow bags.

However, cheaper plastic containers are often priced that way because the plastic does not have UV inhibitors in it, so a lot of them will not last more than a season or two in the sun. If it is a trash can meant to sit outside, then there should be UV inhibitors in it, but for an inside one, I would presume that it did not have them.
Thanks! That's good to know. I didn't realize that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
In reply to Max: While there are a few oxhearts with wispy leaves, only a few are that way. Check on the variety. Of the 40 or so hearts I have grown most have leaves that rival any other variety for size. As for the strength of the stems, personally I have never had any heart with weak or thin stems. Maybe it is the way they are raised in my basement with a fan blowing on them that they have stockier stalks.

Star: Look for a fertilizer that is called "Bloom Booster" or "Flower Power" of some such. I get miracle-gro or Schultz or Master Gardener brand blue crystals that mixes with water with the formula 8-20-20 or somewhere in that neighborhood. Lots of vine and very few fruits is an indication of too much nitrogen.

I have friends who like to put tomatoes in gro-bags of 10 gallons or more. They put those wheeled trays under so they can be moved. You might look for a dwarf heart for a smaller sized plant. (dwarf purple heart or dwarf yellow heart)
I've heard of Bloom Booster, but haven't used it before. I'll look for some of it when I go to town next time. At about what size do I start feeding them the Bloom Booster?

Out of curiosity, how long do you blow a fan on yours and how far away. We had a few nice days where it got to almost 80F and the humidity was terrible and it not even growing season yet.

I might check into seeing about wheels. Not sure if I would have the strength to even pull something still that heavy. The mind thinks it's in mid 20's but reality is the body is 63 and with wimpy arms and neck injury from having big van rear door slammed shut on the neck, I have to watch what I lift and try and move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Fertigate with each watering and you could get away with 3 gallons. Make sure it's mostly or exclusively the nitrate form of N. Ammonium sulfate in the fertigation setting will give you BER.

Some hearts are more productive than others. These have produced well for me: Anna Maria's H, Larisa, Nicky Crain, Wes. Few seeds, meaty, and great tasting. Good luck!
I grew everything in 3 gallon last year and everything was just perfect, but again those where cherries. I have to water down here everyday and once drought and heat is on, sometimes twice a day.

Hummmmmmm. Now you got me wondering what kind of N I have. Gonna have to check my ferts to make sure it the one you suggested.

I had BER on one plant last year, but that I learned was because I was over watering and didn't know the plant liked to be really on the dry side.

Anna Maria's H. and Wes are on my grow list for this year. I'll have to check out the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Starlight,last year I made a list of all the hearts I've grown and it was several hundreds, and that b/c I'm a dedicated heart lover.

They are almost all different so no conclusions can be made.

You say heirloom, but I wouldn't even limit it to that since there are some good ones that have been bred as well. Just go to Tania's site and pull up the link to hearts.

What I can't tell you is which ones might do better where you live and garden,since my experiences are in a much colder zone.

Just curious, but why heirloom paste tomatoes?From different countries perhaps?

Carolyn
Yep, gotta love Tania's site. I spent alot of time there looking up the tomatoes I have besides getting some from her.

Two reasons for the paste tomatoes. One, I really enjoy the flavor of them. They actually go good in salads and on BLT's and Baloney and mayo sandwiches. A bit more slicing, but worth the time and effort.

The second reason is I want to learn to try and make some homemade sauces. Especially sauce for pizza. That and spaghetti and marinara sauce. Can't can, but I can freeze and some recipes I looked at all used paste tomatoes.

Thanks everybody!!!!!!!!! Good to know there heart growers around if I run into trouble. I appreciate the help and advice.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote