View Single Post
Old March 5, 2017   #132
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Worth , did the new one come with seal originally.? If you make a new seal what kind of material will you use? I'm going to have to get a canner this year. Are the new ones any good? Yesterday my wife informed me we're down to 4 qts of tomatoes. I canned over sixty.. What happened?. We gave a few away and when we started counting we found out we gave out over thirty!. Jimbo
Jimbo the new ones are just fine, I would suggest you get a new one.

Did you get your jars back they dont grow on trees and cost money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
A very nice collection, I wish I had the same variety in sizes, They are indestructible as long as you use your brain which is quite sharp as we have all noticed.

A very interesting question. I suggest shopping around to find gaskets designed for pressure cookers of the same diameter, the length has no importance as you can add the required length taken from a second gasket (it works, I’ve done it).
Another path to explore, Worth will know if it’s sensible or not : applying a layer of silicon gel in the groove. Will it stand the heat and pressure ? I really don’t know.
Loulac, pressure canning/cooking was invented in your country.

I will try to explain the seal or gasket.
It looks to me like some sort of seal was laid in to set up.
The gap between the top rim on the canner and where it fits in the lid on the sides is maybe .004 at the very most.

Here is what it looks like and how it works.
The band fits on the two bevels and as you tighten the band it squeezes the lid down on the top of the canner rim and secures it.

They make a silicon sealant that can withstand over 650 F 343 C, application boilers.
It stays pliable after it is set up.
This is an option.
Another would be a big O ring.
Many options to choose from.
What ever you put in the groove wont come out, it is trapped.
What ever is used within reason will be a better product than they had that many years ago.

Kook Kwick seal.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote