View Single Post
Old March 25, 2017   #51
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB View Post
S. galapagense does have interesting frilly foliage. I'm surprised your galapagense variety didn't have any odor to the foliage. The four varieties I tried all had a strong odor that reminded me of burning garbage. I got my varieties from USDA GRIN, so they aren't the same as your variety from TGRC.
Can't remember if LA0317 was one of the ones i got from both TGRC and USDA GRIN. Regardless yeah, they do have a very light smell i guess, but barely noticeable and definitely not like burning garbage. I'd say the S. habrochaites have an off putting smell closer to that. Even in my test planting of S. cheesmaniae I've noticed variation in smells. So it's possible the same variation can exist in other wild tomato stocks, including S. galapagense.

There is one stock from the TGRC that is listed as Odorless, but it is not the accession i have, and secondly it's for S. cheesmaniae anyway. LA1018 Odorless from S. cheesmaniae

(http://tgrc.ucdavis.edu/Misc-stocks%20list%202015.pdf)

It's hard for me at this point to truly know if they are indeed Odorless or if my genetics are at play. I'm one of the people who can't stand to eat Cilantro because i taste an alkaloidal chemical that is Soapy, reminds me of stinkbugs, and makes my tongue literally go numb. People say it's because i have a recessive trait that does not allow me to smell some other chemical and so all i smell and taste is the other one underneath (which happens to actually be used in soap making). Not sure. I'm fine with Parsley though. People who love cilantro don't have that experience and think that it tastes "fresh". I once had a burrito that tasted so bad because i thought the person who made it washed their hands with soap and was just sloppy making my burrito. The soapy flavor got more and more intense that i had to just throw it on the ground and leave it there. I was so hungry that day too. made me angry.

So yeah, my smelling genetics probably affect what things i like to eat. Maybe that is why i was such a picky eater when i was young.

Last edited by Keen101; March 25, 2017 at 12:02 PM.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote