Thread: Beans
View Single Post
Old June 21, 2007   #12
nctomatoman
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

If I had the room and a good location, I'd grow some pole beans, but I like the bush beans just fine (we are getting heavy yields, and I am picking them every day - just froze about 5 pounds).

Favorite three things to do with them (ah, the joy of tender, slender fresh beans!)

1. Drop them into boiling water, boil them for 4 min, drain and serve with a little butter, salt and pepper, perhaps some fresh chives (GREAT finger food!).

2. Take those 4 min boiled beans, rinse under cold water till chilled. Melt a tbsp butter in a large pan, add tsp oil, drop in the beans and stir till well headed - add 1/2 cup or so of Italian bread crumbs, stir over med heat till they are browned a bit.

3. Take the 4 min boiled beans, rinse under cold water till chilled. Heat 3 tbsp veg oil in a pan, add 2 cloves minced garlic and 2 tbsp of black mustard seed - cover. Heat over medium till the seeds start popping - add 1 or 2 crushed dried chiles - then add the beans, 1 tsp salt, pinch of sugar, and black pepper - stir until well coated, then lower neat to medium low and stir occasionally, uncovered, to meld the flavors (this is an Indian recipe).