Thread: bleach spray
View Single Post
Old April 3, 2017   #151
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
So bleach being a cheap alternative to higher priced fungicides I decided to look at some research on it just in case I ever had to use any, but I couldn't find any University research.No University studies I could find other than bleach being used as a weed killer.Why?

The next logical search would be the EPA and the USDA

When mixed with organic materials (e.g., dirt), hypochlorite produces trihalomethanes , which are carcinogenic.

Because sodium hypochlorite has the potential to raise soil pH and add sodium to the soil, it should not be used as an herbicide. Additionally, an experimental application of sodium hypochlorite directly to the leaves of 8 of foliage plants caused severe necrosis, chlorosis, and leaf abscission following a single application

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/defau...e%203%20TR.pdf

Is it safe to use in your garden?A decision ultimately that the informed gardener has to make. I don't know

Personally I would never use bleach on plants, some use a quick bleach soak on seeds to help rid the seeds of exterior pathogens,but I never did that either.Besides only a few fungal pathogens are found on the exterior, most bacterial and viral and viroid ones are found in the endosperm of the seed.

Yes,you could go to EXTOXNET, a fabulous site and look around for more info but a quick search here at Tville I'm pretty sure would bring up similar info.. I know that I've posted links from that site many times here.

Yes,I like to watch bubbles form when bleach hits the dirt but much prefer to see my bubbles in a glass.

Carolyn