View Single Post
Old June 24, 2007   #13
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I hope your into canning, you are going to have alot of produce when those vege's start maturing
But of course.......what Canadian would I be if I didn't ? (actually 5 generations of my family have lived on the prairies......my Grandmother's family had to put up 10 months worth of food and I'm sure glad I have the old family recipes . Am also eyeballing a tomato processor at one of the kitchen supply stores. Keep in mind my growing season may end early too (years ago first frost came around September 1st but now it can happen anytime between then and late October). Of some I may only get one ripe tomato....esp from those that higher zoned people only get a small crop from. I'm bound and determined that I'll get at least a taste of the maters peeps here rave about.

Ami the majority of my squash (20 varieties) are growing at a co-worker's house (a few in my yard and a few at the patch).....the co-worker has a huge plot in her backyard and was going to grow giant pumpkins just to keep the weeds down. When I told her what I had she offered her yard. I also sent some of ALL the ones I received from you to FarmerDill (Atlanta), T'Ville's Gary, and Big_Red (as well as retiree and Tania....unfortunately the seeds (of one variety) that the Canadians received were duds but you sent a second package of that one variety, in the 2nd mailing, and they were viable and are growing well in the States). When I heard that La Nina may be brewing (possible cooler/wetter/shorter season here) I wanted to make sure that your efforts for this crazy low zoned Canuck wouldn't be in vain. I'm getting updates/pics from the above folks and all the seeds from you are now sending up male blooms and females are expected soon. Ü I kept a couple seeds of each but mine, at the co-workers house, only have about 6 leaves per vine right now. Oh I should mention that the squash growing in the States are either being bagged or grown in isolation. I've been told, baring squash vine borers/drought/tornado lifting them away, that I should have more seeds than I will know what to do with next spring.

Next year my location may be hot in late April (some years we have hit the 80's in April) and I may get that perfect squash season I was hoping for this year.

Mirabel Osler
Lilypon is offline   Reply With Quote