View Single Post
Old April 30, 2017   #14
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Oh the evil aphid. With over 300 possible varieties you have just a tiny beginning. Life
cycles can vary. The females can lay 15-20 tiny nymphs a day. Not as bad as fungus
gnats but nice to get on it and remove every one you see to lower the numbers.

Very common. Mine were/are lime green. Not all stages of their short lives respond to just one spray i found out. I just checked every morning, each plant, and rolled them off.
Then would take them to the sink for a spray wash...piece of small celled bubble wrap
over the soil to hold the soil in the pot. Yellow sticky traps helped me monitor how i was
doing. Safer soap did not work as well as a Neem/dr.Bronners dilute blend.

The white patches could be sunburn. Not sure how long the ones were transplanted into
the larger pots but they go through a bit of stress while getting their new roots to form.
Shade is best for a few days after re-potting up.

They should recover fine now that you know what you have. It has been very hot the
past few days in NYC.!
Best to keep them in shade while they recover.
I'm finding diversion tactics or distractors works well. Aphids love sunflowers so i've
been growing dwarf varieties. TeddyBear is a good one and they stay tiny in small
pots. My aphids did not bother my tomatoes, just the peppers and sunflowers. In my
seedling trays i put a couple sunflower seeds in a corner cell. Kept the buggers of my
tiny seedlings.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote