View Single Post
Old May 21, 2017   #43
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I'm surprised at how early my first large fruit was ripe. I picked a very large Neves Azorean Red at full blush and let it ripen on the porch to full red. I don't know if I have ever gotten a one and half pound tomato in less than sixty days before. I don't believe Neves Azorean Red has ever been my first ripe tomato and it is also the largest I have ever gotten for a first ripe tomato. It made some fantastic BLTs to go with a pot of white peas out of the freezer.

It is just today 60 days since setting out my plants and I have already picked 3 Neves Azorean Reds, 2 Brandywine Cowlicks, and six others from various varieties. We got a good bit of rain yesterday and it is predicted to rain for the next 4 or 5 days so I may have a lot of split fruit with so many tomatoes getting to the picking stage just as a lot of rain moves in. If I see any skin splitting on larger fruits I am going to pick them even if they are still green because with at least four more days of good rain predicted they will bust if I don't and they will be useless. From the radar it looks like more rain is coming in the next hour or so. I am going out to check my rain gauge and plants before I am unable.

I hope the good production continues throughout the season for everyone and may the pests be few and the foliage diseases rare and mild.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote