View Single Post
Old May 23, 2017   #32
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
SVBs are most effectively controlled by dusting the lower stem near the ground with Sevin dust. It doesn't bother the bees which are up in the flowers but it does stop SVBs if you can keep it on the stems below the blooms and new growth. I have been doing this for years now after trying everything under the sun to slow the buggers down with only limited or no success. I have only lost a couple of plants to SVBs since starting this method of control and that was usually because I got sick of squash and quit dusting the stems. The trick is every time it rains or every time you water the squash well you need to go out and dust them with fresh Sevin again. If it is raining in the evening then really make the effort to go out first thing in the morning and dust the stems because the SVB moth seems to be most active just as the sun starts hitting the plants and for the next hour or two.

Bill
Bill, I've been using DE and/or Captain Jacks Powder on the stems of my plants in hopes of keeping the SVB out. Do you think these are effective?

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote