View Single Post
Old May 24, 2017   #37
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Bill, I've been using DE and/or Captain Jacks Powder on the stems of my plants in hopes of keeping the SVB out. Do you think these are effective?
I have no idea if it will work or not. I am a big believer in DE as a pest control but haven't tried it on squash stems to see if it would stop SVBs. I am looking forward to seeing if it works for you. Let us know. Good luck and I hope it does work.

I had high hopes that DE would stop slugs but so far it hasn't seemed to work but nothing else does either. I'm tired of buying slug bait only to cut a cabbage and find the lower portion invaded by an army of slugs while the bait just sits there under the leaves. I guess they just slime right past the bait because they would rather have cabbage.

I'm thinking of just mixing all the different forms of DE I have and just mulching cabbage with it and see if that will work. Other than an occasional lettuce that is the only thing that slugs bother in my garden but in the spring they are relentless in attacking cabbage.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote