Thread: Fusarium Wilt
View Single Post
Old June 3, 2017   #12
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I am actually glad that it is soil borne. I already have RKN in the soil. I'm glad it isn't air borne. I have an idea for container growing, but I need to think it out more. If I use containers, I'll only grow 11 plants. Before RKN got bad, we grew 13 tomato plants in the garden and had plenty of tomatoes.

I also have another set of raised beds I'm going to try growing in this fall. They may have Fusarium and RKN in them too, but I won't know until I plant some tomatoes in them.
It is tough to go with containers in the heat of the south. It only takes one or two times of letting them dry out too much to lose your blossoms. I too tried the container route to avoid fusarium wilt but it was so frustrating. It is really tricky trying to maintain a proper amount of soil moisture when they have fruit on them near the ripening stage. As easy as it is for plants to split in the ground I found it even more of a problem in containers. I did have some notable successes but also some failures. The warmer containers will further impede fruit set which is already difficult in the southern climate due to the heat and humidity. Container growing is much more difficult and demanding than learning to graft.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote