Thread: Fusarium Wilt
View Single Post
Old June 30, 2017   #202
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Van, I'm going to give it one more year to see if I can graft my way out of my fusarium problem, but I am leaning towards not even trying to sell summer tomatoes any more.

I was trying to vaguely estimate the value of greenhouse space with tomatoes versus plants. Plants come out something like five times more profit for the same area, probably ten times considering they get sold and replaced in the same time one tomato plant would still be growing.

We live in a time where international competition has continually dropped food prices. I'm thinking it is more difficult to ship and sell live plants internationally than it is produce, which is why you and I both make more money with plants.
Exactly. I mean here I can buy heirlooms for $1 lb wholesale, so in reality all emotional ties aside, I'd be better off just re-selling them. I very well may end up doing that at some point, but I want to see how much I can profit once I get my HT grant and graft all my plants.

Next year I will be doing 50/50 GH hybrids & grafted heirlooms. I used to scoff at the R&R guys but they still sell those tomatoes & in large part those hybrid det's took almost no time. Plant & pick & sell. Plus here you could easily get 2-3 crops of Det's. It sucks that the public is unwilling to pay for a premium product, but the market sets the demand and my affinity for heirlooms isn't going to do much to change that.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote