View Single Post
Old July 14, 2017   #52
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
A lovely medium size tomato. Made alot of foliage before finally making tomatoes.
I haven't grown or eaten to many blacks before, mainly just small types, so waiting to see what this one tastes like.

Usually blacks have problems here in South with blight and Gray Mold, but just gave this plant, along with the others, major haircuts to blush faster and no sign of any disease problems at all on Sara Black. I'm impressed.
There's a darn good reason why you haven't seen any foliage diseases on Sara Black, at least so far.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sara_Black

Sara Black and the other Saras you see at Tania's were bred by Joe Bratka,he had a little trick that he shared with my that he used to get get good X pollination when breeding,not just his Sara's but many more varieties he bred..

He bred many sara thises and that's in different colors and gave them fictious histories to indicate they were heirlooms from Germany.

At one time Joe had said if folks want heirlooms,I'll breed them, and he did.

All I'll say is that his little trick was to put pollen on the stigma,along with the desired pollen,from another Genus and species of tomato.

I rest my case.

Joe died a few years ago and his niece appeared here asking if anyone could send her seeds of what her Uncle grew.I knew Joe for a very long time and he not once referred to a niece.

I could list the ones he had that really were from Germany but I've done that many times before so no need to do it again as I see it.

Carolyn