View Single Post
Old July 15, 2017   #59
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB View Post
Thanks for the great pictures! I agree that the aftertaste that you found in the yellow ones is unpleasant. The good news is it's a dominant trait, so you might find some in the next generation that don't have it.

The #3 type is a beefsteak, so it will have an external stigma and will tend to cross with other tomatoes. Do you bag your seed tomatoes to prevent out-crossing? If you haven't done it before, I can explain how.

Fred
Glad you got the same taste results on the yellow as I did.

Hummmm. I'll have to go out and look at the blossoms. I admit I didn't even think too much about looking at the flower blooms closely. Sorry about that.

Thanks for offering to help, but I do know how to bag. I'll bag when I see the blossoms first forming and then when I see a tomato has formed and set than I will remove the bags and just keep track of the bagged ones for saving. Once I have some bagged seed then the rest I just let do whatever. If I don't remove the bags the humidity down here will cause the fruit to start to rot and mold all on the bags. So, you'll get seed that been bagged and some that not.

The not ones may throw a few surprises if there any crossing there. They were grown by Eli, Mega Marv, and Dixie Golden Giant, all huge beefsteaks.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote