Thread: Fusarium Wilt
View Single Post
Old July 16, 2017   #222
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Curious to learn about grafting, I came across an article in The Atlantic, according to which "you don't need to order those expensive rootstock seeds. Many hybrid tomato plants are bred with all kinds of disease resistance, like those Mountain Magic tomatoes that so captured my heart. In fact, the Mountain lineage of tomatoes, including Mountain Magic, includes some of the most disease-resistant plants there are. They make great rootstock." Here's a link to the article: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...esults/251742/

I also read on this blog that Celebrity F1 also works as rootstock: https://www.tyrantfarms.com/tomato-g...loom-tomatoes/

I don't graft my plants, but perhaps those with experience can chime in. Those rootstock seeds seem awfully pricey.

Best of luck with the life changes!
Many on the board have grafted a lot longer than I have, but I remember feeling the same way about the cost. This is why I changed.

I had some minor problems with wilt. I wasn't sure what type of wilt, but a few full size healthy plants would just start wilting. I thought they just needed water but the wilting just got worse.

I knew because I grow in a wooded back yard that there was no way to ROTATE my tomatoes every year.

I found Big Beef seeds on sale and determined to "save" money by just using those to graft. Then I started to think: what if I go through all the trouble of grafting only to learn that I had the third variety of Fusarium and my Big Beef rootstock can't handle it.

At that point, I bit the bullet and ordered expensive RST-106 rootstock and paid their expensive shipping costs. Uggh.

I'm glad I did. Maybe it was the mild winter, but I've had more disease problems this year and my grafted plants are doing great. I'm glad I grafted and used rootstock that I could trust. Mentally, I can run through 20 other things that I've paid the same price for this past year that I wish I hadn't bought.

I'm reordering RST-106 this year. (Looks like some even better rootstock is being introduced soon.)

From looking at a couple different seed company websites, I'm not convinced that Celebrity is FFF or F 0,1,2. It's frustrating that different websites make different claims.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote