View Single Post
Old July 20, 2017   #125
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Please read just the first part on which languages are spoken and understood in Lebanon.

You said that Samir would come to tville to tell the TRUE story about what Omar said about the hill towns who said it was just called Big Pink.He didn't.

Please ask Samir to express Big Pink in French and also translate Majdel Maouch, , in both English and French. And also confirm that the Lebanese name for tomato is Bandura. Yes I have been spending time doing translation checks here and there.

Thanks in advance and please post his answers here in this thread.

Carolyn- I have been communicating with Samir via Facebook. Until he is allowed on the site, I have to quote directly from him. Regarding your questions from above, here are a few of his answers:

1. The correct Lebanese name for the tomato is banadoura.
2. The French translation of Big Pink is "Grande Rose"
3. The Lebanese translation of Big Pink is "Banadoura zahrieh", or "zahrieh kbeere".
4. Majdel Maouch, or Majd El Meouche, is the name of a town south of Beirut. I have attached a map below- Samir's home town is actually Karniss, just next to the black pin depicting Majdel Maouch.
5. According to Samir, in this area, there is only one tomato known to be very large and of the beefsteak type- it is typically referred to as "Mountains Tomato", or "Majdel Maouch", where it originated. He is not familiar with the term Big Pink.
6. He asked if you knew what area Omar Saab was from? It is possible that he is from the same area, and brought you seeds of MM. It is also possible that he is from another part of Lebanon, and had seeds from an altogether different variety.

At any rate, I find it highly fascinating to dig in and see where potential heritage facts can be discovered regarding Omar's Lebanese, and MM sounds like a nice tomato even if it is NOT one and the same.

I hope these facts help in some way!!

Darin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Majdel Maouch map.jpg (225.2 KB, 107 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote