View Single Post
Old March 7, 2006   #7
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokutaaguriin
Hi Angelique,
i just have a few questions....
What are you lowest temps in winter? I think you could easily grow throughout the year in your zone. With a little supplemental heat in the winter there should not be a problem.
Hi Jeff,

My winter low is in the mid-30's. Some years the temp only drops to the low 40's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokutaaguriin
Summer time cooling may be a bigger problem in my opinion- shade cloth will help, misters or evaporative cooler can be used to lower the temps. What is your growing season (outdoors) for tomatoes- seeding dates etc.?
Sacramento summers reach well over 100F for several days. It's a very dry heat. I don't think that I would even consider using a greenhouse in Spring or late summer.

Our last frost date is around March 15th. My tomato and basil plants don't usually die off until mid-late November.

At my current house, I really do not have room for a greenhouse (I do but it would cut into my gardening space).

I am most interested in being able to have tomatoes, basil and peppers in the winter. Another member suggested that I invest in a cold fram for the time being.

Thank you for your advice.

Kindest Regards,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote