Thread: French Tomatoes
View Single Post
Old October 4, 2017   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanum315 View Post
Thanks, zipcode! I found this link to their catalog. I had no idea that tomatoes like this existed. Look like heirlooms but are F1 with all sorts of resistances. I'm liking it and I tend to agree that there is a degree of confirmation bias when it comes to the flavor of hybrids vs. OP varieties. Will definitely look forward to growing some out and seeing the variations possible.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/bd650...130c52fa59.pdf
Whoa, I think, I'm actually pretty sure that the link is the place I was looking for in France.

If you read the link you'll see that they do not breed tomatoes. They get the seeds from many other places, they have 43 trial sites, can supply judges for flavor and then train those judges how to taste the tomatoes.

Say what? One can be trained how to judge about about tomato taste?.

The outline of the site is different from what I remembered so many years ago, but the mission was the same as in referring to varieties as F1 hybrids when they weren't..

I didn't recheck but I don't think they sell seeds at all, just fruits in various places in Europe and also in the US,There was a reference to the person in charge of US sales.

On a brighter note,thank heavens, Rob brought too many seedlings to me this year so I had to find forever homes for them, and glad I did since I got nada from my plants this summer/fall, Freda just didn't take care of them as I asked her to do and they died of foliage diseases..

Today my USPS person delivered the mail and David had a bag with him, he was one of my forever home folks as he was last year.He pulled one out that was a huge pink heart with antho shoulders,yes,that was Sgt Pepper,then he pulled out 4 more and said he remembered what that plant was, they were,yes,Omar's Lebanese Hearts.

And when he left he said there will be more, I was so happy to hear that since many in my area got frosted out pretty bad and lost all of their tomato plants.

Carolyn