Thread: Canning Season.
View Single Post
Old October 9, 2017   #159
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
This is very nice setup, neatly organized and accessible.

WRT buying directly from the farmers, I mentioned earlier that I was hoping I'd find tomatoes by the bushel/seconds to preserve sauces, since production was low for me this year. From my queries, few places have or sell them -although we have lots of small farms around. At one place, the youngster at the stand said they sometimes have them, for $20 a box -but no idea how big the box is. At another place, the manager said $35 for a 30# box, mix of everything OP, paste and hybrids. I thought that was a bit high for seconds -not trying to deny anyone their pay. I'll check a few more later this month and call it a season.
Taboule... it was a terribly tough year for tomatoes everywhere. i didn't even sell ANY by the bushel this year. only peck baskets and no one even batted an eye at 9.00 a basket. I saw them most other places for 10.00 a peck basket no quantity discount. 40.00 a bushel. half runners? I think they have a funky flavor nor am I interested in the extra work it takes to remove the string.. but I saw them for 2.00 a pound = $50.00 a bushel. only by the pound not by the bushel. and that was at a Mennonite farm stand. their prices are getting more competitive with retailers now.

Haraldsdotter... very nice.

Last edited by clkeiper; October 9, 2017 at 02:20 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote