View Single Post
Old October 13, 2017   #8
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I have to agree with Maglia Rosa for sure. Rev Michael Keyes was unbelievably prolific and not one cracked. Flavor was great, all tomato, not so much sweet. It does need extra staking do to the very heavy fruit load. Then I would suggest Matt's Hornet, which also tastes great, and is the red long cherry with gold stripes. Sungold.

With containers, I would go with dwarf varieties to keep things manageable without losing production. I went through my pile of dwarfs I have grown and selected for taste + production and a variety of colors. My #1 for earliness and continued production, as well as flavor, is Tasmanian Chocolate. No 2 spot goes to Dwarf Scarlet Heart, a flavorful pink heart that just loads up. Now the going gets tougher to narrow down. Wherokowhai is a yellow with red bicolor that is very sweet and productive. For a red one, New Big Dwarf. For an orange variety, I really like Coastal Pride Orange. Neither of the last two are from the Dwarf Project. I have grown big indeterminates in containers, but why struggle when you have such good choice via the recent development of so many wonderful dwarfs. I do not have the same growing conditions as you, certainly, but think these would serve you well.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote