View Single Post
Old October 24, 2017   #56
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Styrofoam cups are fine by themselves, but they do tend to hang on to the soil a little too much. I hear you on the starter cell surgery. I have developed a surgical technique involving sliding slices from a plastic cup down two or three sides, then teasing the the little slug out with a miniature (toy?) shovel. One key is to make sure that the slug is moist - not dry or soaking wet - so it holds together. But the truth is that it doesn't matter if it falls apart and you have to plant a naked-root seedling. Seedlings are tough little bastids and will grow despite your mistreatment. You can cut off the leaves and half the roots; just be careful not to bruise the stem.

My primary objection to peat pots is that they pretend that you can transplant the whole thing and the pot just "goes away". It don't. I've pulled many plants potted that way and the root mass is essentially the same as when they went into their new homes - inside the peat pot and not outside it.

Now don't ask me what I think of the opinions of garden center employees. I just might have to tell you.

Do you have a pet, Ron?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote