View Single Post
Old October 31, 2017   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Great report and with excellent detail. I used to try to keep up with mine like that but always seem to lose steam by mid season; but I usually have around 30 different varieties and anywhere from 75 to 100 plants. Although that is a lot of plants when they are kept to a single stem it doesn't seem like nearly as many.

I have never grown Daniel Burson but have grown some of the others in your list. Cowlick's Brandywine is always gets several spots with some other favorites of mine.
Congratulations on a great year.

My year started out great and finished with a whimper due to some new disease that hit all my fall tomatoes. I had never seen it before but it caused all the plants to start stunting and yellowing of the new growth. New production ceased and fruit remained small and also stunted looking. Seeing 60+ healthy young plants just stop and wither like that was really disheartening after all the effort of planting out in the late summer heat. Next year I will probably be cutting back more on my numbers of plants as it is getting harder and harder to do the work needed to have successful plants down here in this disease and pest ridden area. My problem is there are at least 20 different varieties that I just have to have each year and dang if someone doesn't always seem to lure me into trying a few new ones each year. This addiction is hard to control.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote