Thread: watermelons
View Single Post
Old July 22, 2007   #9
Razorback04
Tomatovillian™

Hi Feldon,

No, I haven't tried Allsweet. This year, I'm growing Big Crimson, Raspa, and AU Producer. They're all 3 Crimson Sweet types, and they all look pretty much alike. Big Crimson and AU Producer are both O.P.'s while the Raspas are hybrids. The odd thing is, the Big Crimson and the AU Producer both look more uniform than the Raspas. I'll try and post some pics when they ripen,which should be in about another week or so. I planted them right around May 1st.

The Big Crimsons look tremendous. I have several melons that will likely top 30 lbs. while the Raspa and AU Producer melons are more in the 20-25 lb. range. Of course, when it comes to watermelons, it's all about the taste, so we'll just have to wait and see who the winner might be in that category.

In addition to sticking with the best tasting of this year's lot, (whichever one that might be) I plan on trying some Sangrias next year. I've heard too many people raving about the taste not to try them. Aren't they pretty similar to the All Sweets?
Razorback04 is offline   Reply With Quote