View Single Post
Old November 29, 2017   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I think all determinate tomatoes have a concentrated fruit set in that they bloom, set fruit and ripen them within a time frame of a few weeks and are pretty much finished although a few will set a second flush after a rest if the season is long enough and the plant doesn't succumb to disease first. Many determinates are actually quite late to mature as well in my experience. There are lots of great determinate varieties bred for the home gardener. Most commercial tomatoes such as the Heinz ones for example were bred not for flavor, they were bred to be mechanically harvested as processing tomatoes. productive,red, round, hard, tart with tough skins in my experience. the Heinz factory just needs something red to add the sugar, salt and vinegar to. the first ingredient listed is tomato paste, perhaps they still make their own paste, hard to know.
Fruit set and production though will vary from one determinate variety to another like all tomatoes and will be affected by weather and other growing conditions.
I hope the Heinz ones are good for you Nan. If not, I can send you seeds for some other very good red determinates
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote