View Single Post
Old November 30, 2017   #12
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
OK, so I'm not the only one who has this problem. Salt, I'm with you. When I want a long-producing tomato, I stick to indeterminates because anything that says "determinate" is almost impossible to find out the production time. I end up ignoring good tomatoes that way.

Here are a few varieties Tania calls determinate that my research says are long producing: Aurora, Carmello, Danko, Glacier, Hanky Red, Marglobe (2 months), New Big Dwarf, Patio (2 months), Sioux, Walter. And nowhere on the Internet can I find the production time for Early Wonder. It must be classified Top Secret. Maybe one day Wikileaks will publish it...

Sorry if I'm ranting or whining or both. Does anyone know a good way to find out how long a determinate produces? (please don't say "grow it yourself"!)

Nan
Marglobe is definitely long-producing. I've grown it three years running; here in zone 6a, it produces from late July/early August through frost, but the late-season fruit size is smaller. Marglobe can grow into sprawling behemoth of a plant, but it's a tomato machine and I'm very fond of it.

I'm trying Glacier in 2018, since it's supposed to do well in the Northeast; it's supposedly Semi-D, bears all season, and good-tasting.

I share the frustration with the Ind./Det./Semi-D labels. I once had a Roma (Det.) plant churn out a second flush in early October. I've also had an Indian Stripe (Ind.) give up the ghost by the end of August. Average first frost here is Oct. 15.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote