View Single Post
Old December 7, 2017   #136
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Back to Eden is not a new concept, but it's been popular lately. I don't think it matters too much the type of tree, except you need it to be mixed with leaves to speed up the composting action. It can be a risk if it's taken from diseased tree or ones infested with pests. From what I'm told walnut needs to be avoided due to the chemical the tree put out and the walnut shells. Acidity from pine is not a problem as the pH will be neutral when it breaks down.

Many people say it take 3-4 years for woodchips to break down, but most of what I put down 12months ago composted already thanks to Florida rain and the bugs in the soil, what seen below is a fresh layer I put down after the hurricane. It does have to be a little thick layer, just having 1-2inches isn't going to initiate much composting action. It is recommended to put a layer of compost underneath (or above) the woodchips and this improve the composting action.

There are downsides too, one is rolly polies and millipedes will chew the stem of the tomato seedlings unless you push the woodchips asides, maybe 8 inches at least. Also it eliminates open surface so isn't ideal for direct sowing and intense market growing.

One problem I find is if you have poor soil and you put down a lot of woodchips, if you don't water heavily at first or have heavy rain, the water won't be able to penetrate to the bottom. Once the composting action takes place then you need less water, I haven't watered these raised beds for almost year now except during the transplanting periods.

The only ants problems left in this area are due to the gaps in the raised beds borders. Slugs no longer exists in this area, and I rarely ever see earwigs anymore which were common a few years ago. The real test will be when I try to grow carrots and rooted parsley, I have some sweet corn growing in the soil right now.

(The were some nice peppers in the grow bags, but I ripped them because of how much whiteflies they attracts.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_20171207 (23).jpg (673.7 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by maxjohnson; December 7, 2017 at 06:53 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote