Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old December 28, 2017   #1562
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Right... and the backup kit for power outages, we forgot about because fall was warm.

Carolyn, just a thought but, if you have a risk of running out of kero in a power outage, maybe you should use the electric backup and conserve kerosene until it gets delivered! Would not want you to be stuck there without heat in - of course!!! - the worst of weather.
The Monitor sounds like a good system, and does it work in power outage situation too? I wondered because of the computer and fans etc.

I have a wood furnace that can be made to work by convection if there's no power, although the heat is very uneven and depends on manually opening or closing the valves for each floor. It has to be monitored carefully to avoid overheating as well. I haven't used it for some time, and just noticed one of the chimney pots has rusted right through and looks like that flue is leaking with rainwater running down the inside... so now I'm afraid to use it until I can get the chimney checked.
I've been reading about backup heaters - and cooker! for my mom. There are some propane heaters rated for indoors but I really don't trust propane. Butane is safer and they have cooking burners that are rated for indoors as well. So leaning towards the butane option.
No, the monitor needs power to run.

No power electric baseboad heaters do not work.

No,I can't get out to the front room to put logs in that wood Stove.

No, we've talked about a generator here, a lot, no can do with me living alone and dependent on a walker.

No propane here ever since a classmate of mine in elementery school, well, his parents were using propane for heat, there was a leak and the house blew up.Thankfully neither Peter nor his parents were home at the time.

So what is,is.

Still no kero delivery,I'll call tomorrow to see where things are at on delivery, but Julie said they were going all out trying to deliver fuel, they deliver both kero and heating oil, and I have no idea what the weekend looks like about how fast they can go,I know the two delivery men very well,and I'm sure they are exhausted.

Carolyn