View Single Post
Old January 21, 2018   #27
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Personally I would rule out hybrids like Big Beef. Why because the seeds must be bought and cannot be saved. There are so many great OPs, and the beauty of passing on the ability to save the seed can't be denied. It's a key step to sustainability with time and effort instead of cash. For someone in poverty, even a five dollar purchase of seeds can be a non starter.

Also, if I were you I would think about the 30-day to eating kind of vegetables for getting people interested in the rewards of gardening. So easy to do in the ground or containers, fresh lettuce and other greens, radishes and turnips, the quick stuff makes it worth waiting for things like tomatoes. Just think about investing 4 or 5 months of your time, only to have the plant croak of a disease, or worse, someone comes and vandalizes or steals your crop after all your waiting. Not many will give it a second try if that happens the first time around.
First. Im am all for seed saving. However, we are talking people who barely know what a tomato is. I see generations who dont know how to cook. Just open a can or order pizza. So... first things first, learn to grow via a strong disease resistant plant.

Second. While I am for all types of produce, tomatoes are the number one eaten veg in the US. I assume then tomatoes would be the segue to other vegetables. If there is interest in other veg, yeah, have at it!

Vandalism. This is the primary reason I do not want to create a large community plot. Would rather have individuals guard their own vegies and yard. I am hopeful that if the local community are on board and are producing,perhaps a larger community garden would work. The current community gardens I know are divided in to plots for each family. The high school garden is donated to the food pantry. I would rather people put work into their own little plot. I see too many lawns that could be food forests.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote