View Single Post
Old March 1, 2018   #3126
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Anyone else seeing beetles munching on their tomatoes? Particularly the ripe red and brown cherries. I haven't seen any on the yellow cherries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Thanks for asking. I am doing much better. I actually have enough hair to finally had to get a haircut after a year without. I have been exercising regularly during the colder months to build up my energy level and am back to gardening.

We have had 15 days this month in the 80s which is not normal. I planted my tomatoes and peppers last week. I have never done them quiet this early and will either move or cover them if we do happen to get a freeze.

I have never hear of Neem Seed meal. Where did you find it? It sounds promising.
This is it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A30EMMM6TS4YCT

I still waiting on it from Amazon but had my DH pick it up at a hydro store today (slightly cheaper too <$16) because I want to get my plants in their final destination. I have an earthbox that is growing lettuce so I will do that one first. We've been to the well often so I don't feel bad uprooting it.

Consistency of coffee grounds; I put 2 TBLS in several of my very mature plants and watered from top. That is how I add dry fertilizer once plant is established. dry fertz such as Plant-tone, Tomato-Tone, or Tomato Maker.

It mixed fairly well in water; not 100% water-soluble. IT STINKS - a combo of Neem Oil and Coffee (I don't drink coffee),

For the new transplants, I will follow directions and mix thoroughly in the soil.

I also started a 'tea' form for spraying on the plants. Directions on the box.

---
It has been so dry and over the last month, upon inspection of various leaves, I have those Russet Mite Larvae or something else close. I haven't found any adult TRM but early on saw lots of larvae moving.

So rather than spray everything with Neem Oil - I don't want to spray the entire garden with a 1-2 gallon hand held sprayer.

Here's the part where you may think I'm nuts.

I hook my hose up to this:http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/pro...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

filled with soluble kelp (already very strong liquid).

Then at dusk, I've been blasting my plants. I know I can't get every nook and cranny but thinking repeated use should get them.

I started with fewer plants mainly the dwarfs which had the most insect larvae. I really blasted them hard the first night thinking that they would be pulled anyway.

Then on subsequent nights, I added more and more plants until I am doing all in the backyard (not the 5 on my porch or the 3 in the driveway). The entire thing takes 20 minutes. The container solution is strong, but it dilutes at 1 oz per Gallon. At first I was doing 2 oz per gallons, but backed off the last 2 nights.

I still see larvae but rarely do I see one moving. On the dwarfs, I haven't seen anything move since day 2. I've done this for 4 consecutive nights.

I would like to do this with neem and the hose. Hopefully, I can figure something out using the neem seed oil. I know the tea won't been strong enough .

Last edited by Barb_FL; March 1, 2018 at 04:53 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote