Thread: Fermenting.
View Single Post
Old March 14, 2018   #763
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
With all due respect 3 days isn't even close to being fermented or ready to eat.
You need to let it do its thing for at least 2 to 3 weeks 6 even better so it can make acid.

Worth
Three days is my favorite readiness when it is warm enough in the kitchen, (my parents, friends that make their own kraut, and hubby's also), might leave up to five days if i don't find it ready, it continues to ferment in the fridge, a bit slower. I never leave it for 2-3 weeks, since i don't like it too sour. Have you tried 5 day old kraut? You should, you might even like it. I bought a jar of kraut at Trader Joe's once out of curiosity and could not eat that, had to throw it out. It was pure acid. I've been doing this for years, and figured out what works for me. I let kimchi ferment 10 days only because it was outside in the cold breezeway, inside it would be 3 days, 2 weeks for my lemons to cure, 3 days for half sour pickles, 10 days for beet kvass, 3-5 days for cabbage kraut. I do taste things and adjust time if needed.