Thread: New garden 2018
View Single Post
Old March 16, 2018   #9
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Probably before talking dimensions, best to discuss the current thinking WRT construction technique, and get your thoughts.

These will be shallow beds, only deep enough to fill with a thick layer of compost, and for minimal work. I'm thinking 2x10s, placed on edge, and screwed at the corners. Will simply build them on top of the lawn, and our landscaper brings a couple of truck loads to fill them up. I initially thought to remove the grass, even got a quote to get that peeled off across the entire area.

After some analysis, I am now leaning towards leaving the grass in place and just smother it. From previous experience covering the lawn with various materials, the grass soon dies and turns to dirt, why incur the extra time and expense of removing it. It would be dormant when we bury it and i cant believe it will grow again through 8-9 inches of dirt.

Any experience folks can share on this? For extra measure, I could cover the grass with a layer of craft paper (or rosin) to seal its fate. The paper will dissolve in due time, and the tomato roots can go through it anyway.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote