View Single Post
Old January 29, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

M, Granny Smith was bred by Petoseed and name recognition linked to the apple of the same name and it was bred to be used for salsa, etc., but not for fresh eating.

It was a huge failure. I mean why not just use tomatillos or unripe green tomatoes for salsa. So no wonder you didn't like it.

There's no way I'm going to remember all the green when ripes I've grown. But I will say that Green Giant in my garden last summer was not a total winner. Perhaps it was the season, I don't know what, but it deserves a second look.

My fave still remains Cherokee Green.

This past summer I also grew one newly listed in the SSE Yearbook called Humph, seeds sent to me by the GW/SSE person who listed it. Very good too, but not as good as CG. The other one listed by this person is called Mama Leone, a small vibrant red, blemish free, somewhat heart shaped and outstanding taste. The only problem was that it was a variety that I farmed out and I only got back three fruits and so have hardly any seeds, but have sent it already to Linda at TGS and will do same for Glenn at Sandhill. I see it as a huge winner.

Evergreen
Charlie's Green
Grandma Oliver
Lime Green Salad
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Green
Amber
Green Grape
Green Zebra

..... are some I can think of off hand that I've grown.

And the following trialed for Tom Wagner that will never see the light of day.

Chile Verde, a long green
Verde Claro, with clear skin, cherry type which I thought was superb tasting. Recently Tom called me about some stuff and he says Verde Claro is one of his faves as well. Craig was not that enthusiastic about it. TOm asked that seeds for none of the 22 varieties I trialed be shared, except with Craig, and I haven't shared those seeds elsewise.

There was another green when ripe one of Tom's that I've now forgotten.

I can get much more excited about green when ripes than I ever can about most blacks.

Just me and my tastebuds I guess.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote