Thread: New garden 2018
View Single Post
Old April 3, 2018   #30
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Reconnecting...

Got very busy with work and life in general the past few days. Wanted to get started on the beds this past weekend, but ended up taking time off to visit with family over Easter.

Weather has also been spotty, we had snow yesterday. So I focused more on the indoors activities, and realized that I'm running a little behind in starting plants -other than tomatoes. Germination has been slower than in the past, so I quickly ran out of space and heating pads to crank out the volume. Then I thought about this freezer that died on us a couple months ago. DW wanted me to get it out of the basement ASAP, and was going to pay someone $50 to take it. Well I came up with this, gaining both space and equipment.

freezer.jpg

Insulation is great as I only need one heating pad (~20W?) to maintain a temp of ~75deg, door closed. This is to heat 4 large plastic boxes, bigger than the nursery flats. Using two pads gets the inside very warm > 85deg (too warm). I haven't played around trying to regulate it, no time to mess with that for now.

Made progress setting up shelves and lights, in various free places in the basement. This one also houses some flowers I started for my wife -pansies, petunias, lavendar, zenias...

tall-shefl.jpg
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote